As I am sure I have mentioned to quite a few of you already, I joined barre3 in Bellevue a about 3 weeks ago and I am completely obsessed! It is unlike anything I have ever done before and has really made me re-consider the way I work out. The first week I went 3 times, and to be honest…just tried to keep up, and had to take a LOT of breaks. The second week, I squeezed in another 3 classes and was starting to feel a little “different”, but wasn’t sure it was barre3 or the fact I had started running too. Well, this week, my 3rd week – has really been when I have felt the class changing my body. I am definitely feeling leaner, my posture is changing…I feel ‘sore’, but stretched out. I notice that I am actually able to come closer to making it through bar push-ups, arm work and the ab/oblique work, without needing a break. However, I am still struggling with legs and seat work…it is tough and I definitely have the “shakes”. I think the fact that we are in Seattle and Sadie Lincoln (founder of barre 3) is in Portland, makes it easier for our instructors keep up with the latest and constantly keep the work outs updated and challenging. Some days I am not sure this is a good thing!
Maybe I should back up a bit and explain what barre3 is…that might help! Here is the description from the barre3 website:
As dancers know, the ballet barre is a wonderful prop designed to support the body in both static and dynamic movement leading to long, lean muscles. barre3 evolves the dancer’s workout by combining the grace of the ballet barre with the wisdom of yoga and the strength of Pilates. barre3 classes are set to an upbeat soundtrack and follow a vigorous pace moving through a sequence of postures designed to shape and lift the entire body.
- Fast body shaping results and long term postural benefits.
- Builds longer, leaner muscles and a strong core.
- Energizes and increases stamina.
- Develops muscle balance leading to a well-proportioned body with less risk for injury.
- Increases flexibility and creates a natural flow to the body.
- Precise instruction for each client improves results (without the cost of a personal trainer).
- Motivating group environment builds connections and community, both important in making exercise a regular part of life.
- Efficient 60-minute total body workout with child care makes it easy to fit into a busy schedule.
- Connects mind, body and breath and relieves stress.
And on top of it – barre3 has gotten a TON of coverage recently, so don’t take my word for how amazing the workout actually is…
And maybe even try it yourself?!?!
See you at the bar! – N